After upgrading Snapchat App can give you access to the latest features, include television show and movie streaming, special effects for your snaps, and live snapchat stories. You need to know after Update Snapchat, that the new Lenses are not available on all devices, but you may be able to work around this restriction. If you’re interested in using some of Snapchat’s latest effects, check out Get Effects on Snapchat.
What’s New in Version 184.108.40.206
- Snap and Chat with up to 16 friends! Chats you send to a group are deleted by default after 24 hours.
- Use scissors to cut out your own stickers from a Snap!
- When editing a Snap in Memories, tap the paintbrush to give your Snap a new look.
- Press and hold on the camera screen to identify a song with Shazam. Songs you’ve Shazamed appear in Settings.
How to Update Snapchat App on iOS
1. Update Snapchat on an iPhone 5 or newer to get Lenses. The new Lenses feature in Snapchat is only available on the iPhone 5 model and newer. If you have an iPhone 4 or 4s, you won’t be able to use Lenses, even if Snapchat is up to date.
- The Lenses feature will not work on the iPod 5th Generation or older, or the iPad 2 or older.
- If your older device is jailbroken, you may be able to enable the Lenses feature by installing a small Cydia tweak.
2. Open the App Store to check for Snapchat updates. You can find the button for the App Store on one of your Home screens.
3. Tap the “Updates” tab. This can be found at the bottom of the screen.
4. Find “Snapchat” in the list of “Available Updates.“ If Snapchat is not listed here, there is no update available and you are running the most up-to-date version.
5. Tap the “Update” button. The Snapchat update will begin downloading immediately. It may take a few minutes to download and install.
6. Start Snapchat. You can start Snapchat from the App Store page or by tapping the app on your Home screen.
7. Enable extra features. When you update Snapchat, the new features may not be enabled by default. You can turn them on in your Snapchat Settings menu.
- Tap the Snapchat icon at the top of your Camera screen. This will open your profile.
- Tap the Gear button in the upper-right corner.
- Scroll down and tap “Manage”. You can find this in the “Additional Services” section.
- Toggle the sliders for each of the features you want to enable.
8. Access the new Lenses. If you’re using a newer iPhone and have updated Snapchat, you can apply special lens effects to your Snaps. Press and hold your face to access the different lens options.
9. Troubleshoot upgrade problems. Some users have reported problems getting Snapchat to complete the update process. When this occurs, the app disappears from the Home screen and the update stalls.
- Open the Settings app for your device.
- Tap “General” and then “Usage” or “iCloud & Storage Usage“.
- Tap “Manage Storage” in the “Storage” section.
- Tap Snapchat in the list of apps and then tap “Delete App“.
- Reinstall Snapchat from the App Store.
How to Update Snapchat App on Android
1. Update Snapchat for Android 5.0 or later to get Lenses. The new Lenses feature requires an Android device running Android 5.0 (Lollipop) or later. If you’re using a device that’s stuck on Android 4.4 or lower, you won’t be able to use Lenses, even if Snapchat is up to date. To check your device’s version:
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap “About phone” or “About device“.
- Look for the “Android version” entry.
- Some users have reported problems with Lenses even though their device is running 5.0 or later. If your device should work but isn’t, you may have to wait until Snapchat updates again. If your Android is rooted, you can try an Xposed framework tweak.
2. Open the Google Play Store to update Snapchat. You can find this in the App Drawer or on your Home screen.
3. Tap the Menu button (☰) and select “My apps.“ This will open a list of all of your installed apps.
4. Find “Snapchat” in the list. If an update is available for Snapchat, it will be listed in the “Updates available” section, and will say “Update” in the bottom-right corner of the app box. You can also search for Snapchat in the store to open its store page.
5. Tap the “Update” button. You’ll see this button on the app’s store page if an update is available. Tapping “Update” will begin downloading the update files, which may take a few minutes. The update will be installed automatically, and you’ll be notified when its finished.
Note: If there is no Update option available, then you are currently running the latest version of the Snapchat app. If you have the most up-to-date version and certain special features such as Lenses aren’t working, your device may not support them.
6. Enable extra features. New features may not enabled by default. You can turn them on in the Snapchat Settings menu.
- Tap the Snapchat icon at the top of the Camera screen. This will open your Snapchat profile.
- Tap the Gear button in the upper-right corner of your profile.
- Tap “Manage” in the “Additional Services” section.
- Check the boxes to enable additional features such as Front-Facing Flash and Friend Emojis.
7. Use the new Lenses feature. If you’re using a supported device and have updated Snapchat, you can access special lens effects by pressing and holding your face before taking a snap.
8. Consider joining the Snapchat beta. Snapchat for Android features a beta program. Joining the beta will give you early access to new Snapchat features, but the app may be less stable than the normal app. If you’re willing to put up with an app that occasionally doesn’t work, you can join the beta.
- In the Settings menu, scroll down and tap the “Join Snapchat Beta“.
- Tap “Count me in!” to confirm. You’ll be taken to a web page where you can join the Google+ community, which is required for beta access.
- Fill out the form to join the beta program and then wait about an hour.
- Uninstall and reinstall Snapchat and the “Snapchat Beta” option will appear in the Settings menu. Use this menu to access the beta features.